By SULAIMAN JAAFAR AND ADIB POVERA | news@nst.com.my

SERIES OF ATTACKS: 8 people, including 6 policemen, injured

KUALA LUMPUR: FOLLOWING Sunday’s triple bombing incident which left 27 injured, southern Thailand has been rocked again with no less than four explosions over the past three days.

Eight people, including six policemen, were injured in the latest series of attacks which began on Tuesday.

The latest bombing, which occurred yesterday, struck a sentry booth of a Customs office near the Malaysia-Thailand border in the Tak Bai district, located within Narathiwat province.

The Bangkok Post reported that a 40-year-old soldier manning the booth and a villager, 56, were injured in the 10.15am blast.

Tak Bai district police chief, Colonel Prayong Khotsakha, said the 5kg handmade bomb had been buried near the booth and was remotely triggered.

A day earlier, an explosion occurred at the same district. The attacks were believed to be aimed at soldiers from the Narathiwat Special Task Force 31.

The soldiers experienced a close shave as the bomb exploded about 800m away from a police checkpoint along Tak Bai-Narathiwat road.

The soldiers were patrolling the area on pick-up trucks when the explosion occurred. A witness said he spotted four teenagers planting the bomb.

On Tuesday, two policemen were injured after a bomb exploded under their vehicle in the Muang Yala district within Yala province at 3.10pm.

The bomb was stuffed inside a small cylinder and planted in a drainage pipe. The victims, aged 35 and 51, were rushed to Yala Hospital.

The carnage continued when another four policemen were injured following an explosion in the same province on the same day.

The policemen were on patrol when the bomb exploded along Than To-Sri Thanam road in Ban Pooyud village, located within Than To district. All four policemen injured in the mid-afternoon blast were treated at a nearby hospital.

A travel advisory issued urging Malaysians to postpone their trips to areas affected by the recent bomb attacks in southern Thailand is still in place.

A Wisma Putra spokesman said the advisory, issued on Tuesday, was still in place to ensure people’s safety.

In Kota Baru, police were closely monitoring the developments in southern Thailand following the recent bombings.

Kelantan police chief Datuk Jalaluddin Abdul Rahman said it was standard operating procedure for police to tighten security at the border if there were bombings and other incidents in a neighbouring country.

Jalaluddin said the Malaysia-Thailand border was under control and police, with the cooperation of the army, anti-smuggling unit and other agencies, had set up more roadblocks and checks.

“So far, we have not received any reports of suspects trying to escape to Malaysia.

“We have a good relationship with our counterparts in Thailand and they have not contacted us to seek assistance,” he said after a year-end gathering at the state police contingent here yesterday.

Sunday’s bombing incident began with a motorcycle explosion in front of the Thai Padang Besar police station, a kilometre away from the Malaysia-Thailand border in Padang Besar, Perlis.

It was followed by another blast in the compound of the Sadao police station an hour later. The third and biggest bomb, planted in a 4×4 vehicle at Oliver Hotel in Dannok, went off at 12.45pm.

Several vehicles are engulfed in flames after a bomb, planted in a 4×4 pick-up truck, went off at Oliver Hotel in Dannok.

Read more: 4 explosions rock Thailand in 3 days – General – New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/nation/general/4-explosions-rock-thailand-in-3-days-1.446564#ixzz2oleJ94rS